CUPAR ANGUS, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CUPAR ANGUS, (or Coupar-angus), a parish in the district and counties of Forfar and Perth, Scotland. It is situated in the centre of Strathmore, and extends 5 miles from N.E. to S.W., with a breadth of from 1½ mile to 2½ miles. The river Isla bounds it on the N. W. It includes the villages of Balbrogie, Washington, and Longleys. The population, of which about five-sixths are in Perthshire, has remained stationary for many years past. The low-lying lands are clay, but the upper gravel. The lands bordering on the Isla are protected from its frequent inundations by embankments. This parish is in the presbytery of Meigle, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister averages £260. The parish church, rebuilt in 1860, is a handsome structure. There are five places of worship besides the Established church, viz. United Presbyterian, Free, Episcopalian, United Original Secession, and Evangelical Union. The town of Cupar-Angus stands on the road from Perth to Aberdeen, 5 miles S.S.E. of Blairgowrie, and 13 N.E. of Perth. The larger part of the town, situated on the right bank of a tributary of the Isla, is in the county of Perth, and that on the left bank in Forfar. The manufacture of coarse linen fabrics, and a tannery, give employment to the inhabitants. Here is a station of the Scottish Midland railway. In the neighbourhood is the site of a Roman camp, supposed to have been formed by Agricola, in the Centre of which Malcolm IV. founded an abbey for Cistercian monks in 1164. James VI. converted the lands of this monastery into a lordship in 1606, which was afterwards held by Lord Balmerino, who was attainted in 1745. Thursday is market day. Fairs are held in March, May, July, and November."
"BALBROGIE, a village in the parish of Cupar Angus, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 10 miles to the N. of Perth. It lies at the confluence of the small river Ericht with the Isla, a branch of the Tay, and near the Scottish Midland railway."
"LONG LEYS, a village in the parish of Cupar-Angus, county Perth, Scotland."
"WASHINGTON, a village in the parish of Cupar-Angus, county Perth, Scotland, near Cupar-Angus."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use