CUPAR ANGUS, Perthshire
"COUPAR-ANGUS, town and parish partly in Forfarshire, but chiefly in Perthshire. The town stands near the Isla, on a small affluent of that river 12 3/4 miles by road, but 15 3/4 miles by rail, north-east-by-north of Perth; adjoins the site of a Roman camp and vestiges of an ancient abbey; dates from old times, and has undergone much recent improvement; carries on linen manufacture and other industries; and has a head post office with all departments, a railway station, 3 banking offices, a hotel and inns, a town hall, a new water supply of 1874, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, Original Secession, Evangelical Union, and Episcopal churches, and a public school of 1877 for about 500 scholars. Pop. 2154. - The parish contains also the villages of Balbrogie, Longluis, and Washington, and measures about 5 miles in length and from about 1 1/2 to2 1/2 miles in breadth. Acres in Forfarshire, 184; in Perthshire, 4515. Real property in 1880-81, £1790 and £14,312. Pop. 256 and 2281. The surface is part of Strathmore, bisected by a ridge, commanding a splendid view."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
Coupar Angus Churchyard
Coupar Angus cemetery
The interment registers for both are available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie. Please consult the cemeteries page
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available for 1 in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 279. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 279/1 B 1683-1775 M- D- 279/2 B 1775-1819 M- D- 279/3 B- M 1682-1819 D 1747-1793 279/4 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
Burials 1849 are in the National Archives of Scotland, Ref: CH2 395 7
Kirk Session records, 1771-1977 (minutes, accounting records, communion rolls, marriage register), are in the National Archives of Scotland, Ref: CH2
- The transcription of the section for Cupar Angus from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.