"DRON, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, stretching along the Ochills, in Strathearn. It is bounded on the S.E. by Fifeshire, and on the other sides by the parishes of Arngask, Forgandenny, Dunbarnie, and Abernethy. It extends between 3 and 4 miles from E. to W., with a breadth of 3 miles. The surface is well cultivated, one third being pasture, and the remainder, except 400 acres under wood, arable. The principal seats are Balmanno Castle and Glenearn House. The road from Perth to Edinburgh traverses the parish, and there is easy access to the Scottish Central railway, and the Perth fork of the Edinburgh and Northern railway. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth, and synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £167."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]