"DULL, village and parish in Perthshire. The village stands in Appin vale, 3 miles west of Aberfeldy; had anciently an abthanery, or peculiar kind of monastery, with right of sanctuary; and has now a very ancient market cross, a parochial church with about 600 sittings, and a public school with about 105 scholars. - The parish contains also Amulree village and Aberfeldy town. It comprises 5 separate districts, and is so intersected by other parishes as to measure about 30 miles from end to end. Its area is 63,417 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,807. Pop. quoad civilia, 2565; quoad sacra, 1997. The districts are Appin, Grandtully, Amulree, Foss, and Fincastle. The surface comprises every variety from wild portions of the Grampians to exquisite portion of the Tay's valley; and is diversified by so many as 21 lakes. The seats are Grandtully, Foss, Moness, Cluny, and Dercluich; and the antiquities include several standing-stones, moats, barrows, and Pictish forts, and an ancient Caledonian stone circle. Churches of various denominations are at Aberfeldy, Amulree, Grandtully and Tumel-Bridge; and public schools are at Amulree, Grandtully and Foss."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.