"DULL, village and parish in Perthshire. The village stands in Appin vale, 3 miles west of Aberfeldy; had anciently an abthanery, or peculiar kind of monastery, with right of sanctuary; and has now a very ancient market cross, a parochial church with about 600 sittings, and a public school with about 105 scholars. - The parish contains also Amulree village and Aberfeldy town. It comprises 5 separate districts, and is so intersected by other parishes as to measure about 30 miles from end to end. Its area is 63,417 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,807. Pop. quoad civilia, 2565; quoad sacra, 1997. The districts are Appin, Grandtully, Amulree, Foss, and Fincastle. The surface comprises every variety from wild portions of the Grampians to exquisite portion of the Tay's valley; and is diversified by so many as 21 lakes. The seats are Grandtully, Foss, Moness, Cluny, and Dercluich; and the antiquities include several standing-stones, moats, barrows, and Pictish forts, and an ancient Caledonian stone circle. Churches of various denominations are at Aberfeldy, Amulree, Grandtully and Tumel-Bridge; and public schools are at Amulree, Grandtully and Foss.quot;
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
The interment registers for 1, 2 and 3 are available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available for all in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 346. Please consult the county page for general information.
NB. Aberfeldy was enumerated seperately from 1861 onwards.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 346/1 B 1703-40 M 1703-40 D- 346/2 B 1740-62 M 1740-62 D- 346/3 B 1763-82 M 1763-83 D- 346/4 B 1783-1805 M 1783-1801 D- 346/5 B 1783-1819 M 1799-1819 D- 346/6 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
- The transcription of the section for Dull from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.