"DUNBARNEY, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is bounded by the parishes of Perth, Rhynd, Abernethy, Dron, Forgandenny, and Forteirot. It contains the villages of Kintillo and Bridge of Earn. The parish extends from E. to W. some 4 miles, with an average breadth of 11 mile. The scenery is of great beauty, to which the river Earn, which intersects the parish, greatly contributes. The Ochil hills approach the southern bounds of the parish. The soil consists of clay and loam, and the surface is well cultivated. Whinstone and sandstone are quarried, and the mineral springs of Pitcaithly are much frequented. The chief landed proprietors are Sir Thomas Moncrieffe, Bart., Grant, of Kilgraston, Craigie, of Dunbarney, and Stoddart, of Ballendrick. The parish is traversed by the high road from Edinburgh to Perth, and also by the Perth branch of the Edinburgh and Northern railway, of which there is a station at Bridge of Earn. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Stirling and Perth, and in the patronage of Sir Thomas Moncrieffe, Bart. The minister has a stipend of £179. There are also a Free church and school."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)