[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DUNBARNEY, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is bounded by the parishes of Perth, Rhynd, Abernethy, Dron, Forgandenny, and Forteirot. It contains the villages of Kintillo and Bridge of Earn. The parish extends from E. to W. some 4 miles, with an average breadth of 11 mile. The scenery is of great beauty, to which the river Earn, which intersects the parish, greatly contributes. The Ochil hills approach the southern bounds of the parish. The soil consists of clay and loam, and the surface is well cultivated. Whinstone and sandstone are quarried, and the mineral springs of Pitcaithly are much frequented. The chief landed proprietors are Sir Thomas Moncrieffe, Bart., Grant, of Kilgraston, Craigie, of Dunbarney, and Stoddart, of Ballendrick. The parish is traversed by the high road from Edinburgh to Perth, and also by the Perth branch of the Edinburgh and Northern railway, of which there is a station at Bridge of Earn. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Stirling and Perth, and in the patronage of Sir Thomas Moncrieffe, Bart. The minister has a stipend of £179. There are also a Free church and school."
"BRIDGE OF EARN, a post village in the parish of Dunbarney, county Perth, Scotland, 6 miles S.E. of Perth. It is situated on the river Earn, and on the road between Perth and Edinburgh. It is a watering-place and a station on the Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee railway. In the neighbourhood is Pitcaithley Spa, and an old pass. The old part of the village was built in 1769, and the modern part in 1832. The ancient bridge has been removed, and is replaced by one of three arches. Here are good hotels, ball-room, library, &c."
"KINTILLO, a village in the parish of Dunbarney, county Perth, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Perth."
"KINTULLOCH, a village in the parish of Dunbarney, county Perth, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Perth. William the Lion granted the lands of Kintulloch to Hugh Say, an Englishman, part of which came afterwards to the monks of Scone."
"PITCAITHLY, a hamlet in the parish of Dunbarney, county Perth, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Perth. It is near Bridge of Earn, much celebrated for its mineral springs."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use