DUNNING, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"DUNNING, a parish and market town, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Perth. It is a station on the Scottish Central railway. The parish is watered by Dunning Water, a branch of the river Earn, and contains Newtown of Pitcairns, at the end of the Ochills. The town was burnt in 1715 by the Earl of Marr, so that most of the houses are modern. The land rises in places to the height of 1,000 feet above the sea, and consists chiefly of moorland and sheep-pasture. The parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £240, in the patronage of the Earl of Kinnoul. The town contains the parish church, a Free church, two United Presbyterian churches, and schools. Here are corn-mills and woollen factory. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in weaving for Glasgow. Duncruib is the seat of Lord leaving who is the chief landowner. Market day is Wednesday. Fairs are held in May."

"NEW PITCAIRN, a village in the parish of Dunning, county Perth, Scotland, half a mile S. of Dunning. It was formerly a parish, and has Pitcairn House, the seat of the Pitcairns."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 28 Nov 2010 - 14:40 by Mel Lockie]