"FORTEVIOT, a parish and A village in Perthshire, Scotland. The village disputes with Abernethy the honour of having been the first capital of the Pictish kingdom. There was once a royal residence in its immediate neighbourhood, which is believed to have been occupied by the Scottish kings from Kenneth II. to Malcolm Canmore; but the very site of the palace has been washed away by a flood; and almost the only relic of it is a sculptured arch, possessed by Lord Ruthven of Freeland. Miller's Acre, where Edward Baliol encamped on the night he fore the battle of Dupplin in 1332, is half a mile N. of the village. The parish of Forteviot, with which that of Muekersie has been long united, consists of three detached sections. The largest section, in which the church and village are situated, stretches from the Ochil hills across the Vale of Strathearn, and is fertile and richly wooded. It is traversed by the Scottish Central railway, which has a station near the village, and by roads from Auchterarder and Dunning to Perth. It is drained by the Earn and its tributary stream the May. The latter gives its name to Invermay, the scenery of which, for 2 miles before the stream reaches the Strath, is of surpassing beauty. There is a Runic cross at Bankhead, and the pedestal of another at Dronachy. The second section is in the heart of the Ochils, and is chiefly pastoral. The third and smallest section is in Strathearn, on the W. side of Moncrieff Hill. It is very fertile, and is traversed by the Scottish Central and North British railways. The parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, in the patronage of the United College, St. Andrew's, and Sir John Stuart Forbes of Invermay. The minister has a stipend of £270."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]