"FORTINGALL, village and parish in north-west Perthshire. The village stands on a sequestered mountain vale on lower part of Lyon river, about 10 miles west of Aberfeldy, and has a post office under Aberfeldy, an inn, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 170 scholars. The vale measures about 6 miles by fully ½ mile; is accessible only by narrow passes through closely engirdling mountains; and contains adjacent to the village, remains of a Roman camp, and remains of a famous large old yew tree. - The parish is 25 miles long and 24 miles broad, and comprises 196,683 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £22,033. Pop., quoad civilia, 1690; quoad sacra, 616. The surface lies wholly among the Grampians, consists entirely of loftymountains, with intersecting glens, lakes, and streams; includes districts of Rannoch and Glenlyon; and abounds with memories and monuments of feudal times. Chief seats are Glenlyon House, Garth, Meggernie, and Chesthill. Established churches are at Innerwick, Kinloch Rannoch, and Finnart and a Free church is in Glenlyon; and public schools are at Cambusvrachen, Meggernie, Pubill and Kinloch Rannoch."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.