"FORTINGALL, village and parish in north-west Perthshire. The village stands on a sequestered mountain vale on lower part of Lyon river, about 10 miles west of Aberfeldy, and has a post office under Aberfeldy, an inn, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 170 scholars. The vale measures about 6 miles by fully 1/2 mile; is accessible only by narrow passes through closely engirdling mountains; and contains adjacent to the village, remains of a Roman camp, and remains of a famous large old yew tree. - The parish is 25 miles long and 24 miles broad, and comprises 196,683 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £22,033. Pop., quoad civilia, 1690; quoad sacra, 616. The surface lies wholly among the Grampians, consists entirely of loftymountains, with intersecting glens, lakes, and streams; includes districts of Rannoch and Glenlyon; and abounds with memories and monuments of feudal times. Chief seats are Glenlyon House, Garth, Meggernie, and Chesthill. Established churches are at Innerwick, Kinloch Rannoch, and Finnart and a Free church is in Glenlyon; and public schools are at Cambusvrachen, Meggernie, Pubill and Kinloch Rannoch."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
The interment registers for 1, 6 and 7 are available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available for all except 6 and 7 in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 355. Please consult the county page for general information.
An index for 1851 is available from Tay Valley FHS.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 355A/1 B 1738-83 M 1748-1819 D- 355A/2 B 1783-1819 M- D- 355A/3 B 1742 M 1742 D- 355A/4 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
Local information can be found at Fortingall.com.
- The transcription of the section for Fortingall from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.