"FOSSOWAY, (and Tulliebole), a parish in the district of Eastern Perth, counties of Kinross and Perth, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Kinross, containing the villages of Crook-of-Devon and Gartwhinean, and the post villages of Fossoway and Blairingone. It has Dunning on the N., Orwell and Kinross on the E., Cleish and Saline on the S., and county of Clackmannan on the W. Its length is 15 miles, and its breadth 3 miles. The surface contains a considerable proportion of upland and pasture, and includes part of the Ochill and Cleish hills. The rivers Devon and Gairney, and several smaller streams, effect the drainage; the former has a fine fall at Caldron Linn. This parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £164. The church was built in 1806. There are a Free church and a chapel-of-ease here, a parish school and three others. Fossoway and Tulliebole were incorporated as one parish in the year 1614, up to which period they were included in the diocese of Dunblane. Tulliebole Castle, of Sir J. W. Moncrieff, Bart., is a fortalice of great strength, built in 1608. Aldie Castle was erected at the commencement of the 16th century; within its grounds are the Carleith round-tower, within which human remains were excavated some years ago, This parish anciently belonged, with the neighbouring district, to the Murray family of Tullibardine, whose mansion stood on a spot now called Palacebrae. Between Pitvar and Gartwhinean is the Monk's Grave. A small pool, called the "Trooper's Dubb," marks the grave of a royal trooper who died from the effects of a drinking match. The Devil's Mill and the Rumbling Bridge on the river Devon are objects of attraction; and the Reformation Clog is preserved at the manse."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)