"FOWLIS, (or Fowlis Easter), a parish in the districts of Dundee and Eastern Perth, counties Forfar and Perth, Scotland, 6 miles S.E. of Cupar-Angus. It is situated in the Carse of Gowrie, and extends over an area of 1,944 acres, having Lundie on its northern boundary, Liff on the E., and Longforgan on the S.W. The surface is flat, the only summit being Blacklaw. The soil is good and well cultivated. This parish is ecclesiastically united to that of Lundie. The church has an inscription on a beam used in the fixings of the organ, to the effect that the church was founded in 1142, in accordance with the vow of a lady on the safe return of her lord from the Holy Wars. It was erected into a collegiate church for seven priests in the time of James II., by Sir Andrew Grey. The vault of the earls of Grey is by the side of the church."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)