FOWLIS-WESTER, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"FOWLIS-WESTER, a parish and post village, county Perth, Scotland, 10 miles W. of the town of Perth, containing Buchanty and Gilmerton. It is situated on the rivers Pow and Almond, and is about 8 miles long by 6 wide. The surface is hilly, and abounds in romantic scenery. Numerous burns thread their way through the valleys, with several picturesque cascades. The soil is very variable in quality. This parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £225. The church is ancient. Here are three schools. Cultoquhey is the seat of the Maxton family. Gorthy is another seat in the neighbourhood. This parish anciently belonged to the earls of Strathearne, founders of Inch affray monastery. It reverted to the crown in default of an heir in 1346. The only trace of the ancient castle is a slight grass-grown mound at Castleton farm. Slate, flag, and building stone are quarried. The village is seated on, the road from Stirling to Perth. It is an ancient place, and contains an old cross with curious sculptured work upon its side. There are Druidical remains a little to the N. of the village. A cattle fair is held on the 6th November."

"BUCHANTY, a village in the parish of Fowlis-Wester, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 10 miles to the W. of Perth. It is seated on the banks of the Almond Water, a feeder of the Tay."

"GILMERTON, (or Gilmorton), a post village in the parish of Fowlis wester, county Perth, Scotland, 7 miles W. of Perth. It is situated on the road from Glasgow to Perth, and contains a private school."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 28 Nov 2010 - 14:40 by Mel Lockie]