"INCHTURE, (and Rossie), a parish in the Carse of Gowrie, county Perth, Scotland, containing the villages of Ballendean and Balledgarno, and the post village of Inchture. It is about 4 miles long, and its greatest breadth is 3 miles. Its boundaries are the Tay and the parishes of Abernyte, Errol, Kinnaird, and Longforgan. The surface is flat and in a high state of cultivation. One or two small rivulets traverse the parish. Both the coach and rail-road from Perth to Dundee pass through the interior, and the latter has a station here. The parish is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £225. The church stands in the village of Inchture. It is a Gothic building erected in 1834. The ancient parishes of Rossie and Inchture were united in 1670. Rossie Priory, the mansion of the Kinnairds, was built in 1817 by Charles, the eighth lord. Ballendean House is another residence. In the E. of the parish are seen the ruins of Moneur Castle. There is a large brewery in the village, which occupies a site 9 miles from Dundee. The weaving of linen is followed by many of the inhabitants. Whinstone and freestone are quarried in several places."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)