"KILLIN, village and parish in Breadalbane, Perthshire. The village is 5 miles distant from a railway station of its own name, 17 miles north-by west of Callender; stands adjacent to the conflux of Dochart and Lochy rivers, about ½ mile from the head of Loch Tummel; is surrounded, both closely and remotely, by magnificent scenery; and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments under Stirling, 2 banking offices, ahotel, a serial line of bridges, Established, Free, and Episcopal churches, and a public school. Pop. 473. A branch railway from the station to the village . A detached section, measuring 4 by 3½ miles, flanks south side of Loch Tay, down to a line opposite Bewlawers; and another detached section, measuring about 1½ mile each way, lies in middle part of Glenlochy. The main body extends in a line across head of Loch Tay, west-south-westward to summit of lofty mountain-range on boundary with Argyllshire; includes Glendochart, Strathfillan, most of Glenfalloch, parts of Glenlochy and Glenogle, and the mountains and mountain-ranges on the flanks; culminates on Benmore; and includes a considerable aggregate of fine plain, rich vale, and verdant upland. Chief seats are Kinnell, Achlyne, Glenure, Inverardran, and Boreland; and chief antiquities are several Caledonian stone circles, the ivy-clad castle of Finlarig, and ecclesiastical remains in Strathfillan. Free churches are in Strathfillan and Ardeonaig; and public schools are in these two places and in Glendochart."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.