"KILLIN, village and parish in Breadalbane, Perthshire. The village is 5 miles distant from a railway station of its own name, 17 miles north-by west of Callender; stands adjacent to the conflux of Dochart and Lochy rivers, about 1/2 mile from the head of Loch Tummel; is surrounded, both closely and remotely, by magnificent scenery; and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments under Stirling, 2 banking offices, ahotel, a serial line of bridges, Established, Free, and Episcopal churches, and a public school. Pop. 473. A branch railway from the station to the village . A detached section, measuring 4 by 3 1/2 miles, flanks south side of Loch Tay, down to a line opposite Bewlawers; and another detached section, measuring about 1 1/2 mile each way, lies in middle part of Glenlochy. The main body extends in a line across head of Loch Tay, west-south-westward to summit of lofty mountain-range on boundary with Argyllshire; includes Glendochart, Strathfillan, most of Glenfalloch, parts of Glenlochy and Glenogle, and the mountains and mountain-ranges on the flanks; culminates on Benmore; and includes a considerable aggregate of fine plain, rich vale, and verdant upland. Chief seats are Kinnell, Achlyne, Glenure, Inverardran, and Boreland; and chief antiquities are several Caledonian stone circles, the ivy-clad castle of Finlarig, and ecclesiastical remains in Strathfillan. Free churches are in Strathfillan and Ardeonaig; and public schools are in these two places and in Glendochart."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
The interment register may be with the Cemeteries Service of Stirling Council.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available for both in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 361. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 361/1 B 1689-1752 M 1636-1702 D- 361/2 B 1753-1818 M- D- 361/3 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
The transcription of the section for Killin from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.