[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KILMADOCK, a parish in the county Perth, Scotland, containing the post towns of Doune and Deanstown, 26 miles S.W. of Perth, and 44 from Edinburgh. The parish is about 8 miles square, and is bounded by county Stirling, and the parishes of Port of Monteith, Callander, Strowan, Dunblane, Kincardine, and Lecropt. The Forth traces part of the S. boundary, and the Teith crosses the north-eastern extremity of the parish, which is intersected by several small streams, tributaries to these rivers. There are several small lochs, as Ludnich and Maghaig. The soil is very variable, and the surface is hilly. From Naigh More Hill is a fine view. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £288. The church, which is at Doune, was built in 1822. In that town are also the Free church, Independent and Methodist chapels, and several schools. There is a Presbyterian church in the parish. The ancient church occupies the site of a Culdee monastery of St. Murdoc, which had six dependent chapels. Doune Castle is the seat of the Earl of Moray, who is the chief landowner. Other residences are Gartincaber and Cambusmore."
"BUCHANY, a village in the parish of Kilmadock, in the county of Perth, Scotland, not far from Doune."
"CAMBUS-WALLACE, a village in the parish of Kilmadock, in the county of Perth, 1 mile to the N.W. of Doune. It is seated on the banks of the river Teith. The chief residences are Doune House, a seat of the Earl of Moray, and Cambusmore House."
"DEANSTON, a village in the parish of Kilmadock, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Teith, 1 mile W. of Doune, with which it is connected by a bridge. It is chiefly known for the extensive cotton-works established here in 1785; and also as being coupled with the name of James Smith, the inventor, agriculturist, and philanthropist, who spent the best portion of his life here."
"DELVORICH, a village in the parish of Kilmadock, in the county of Perth, Scotland."
"DOUNE, a small post town in the parish of Kilmadock, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It stands on the left or N. bank of the Teith, at its junction with the Ardoch, midway between Stirling and Callander. The principal object of interest in the neighbourhood is the ancient castle of Doune, situated near the town, on a mound apparently more or less artificial. The Leith flows underneath its walls, and considering its age, which is at least 500 years, it is wonderfully complete. Its walls, 40 feet high and 10 feet thick, form a square, the sides of which are 96 feet in length, and there is a massive tower 80 feet high in the N.E. corner. It was successively held by the earls of Monteith, the Duke of Albany, and the Moray family. In 1745 it was occupied by the adherents of Prince Charles. The Scottish Central railway has a station here. Doune Lodge, a seat of the Earl of Moray, stands a mile N.W. of Doune. Fairs are held here in February, May, July, November, and December."
"DRUMVAICH, a hamlet in the parish of Kilmadock, in the county of Perth, Scotland."
"NORRIESTON, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Kilmadock and Kincardine, county Perth, Scotland, 2 miles N. of the Forth, and 6 S.E. of Callendar. It comprehends the detached portion of the parish of Kincardine, with the improving village of Morrieston and the village of Thornhill. The village is situated on an eminence adjoining the road from Stirling to Aberfoil. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane and in the patronage of the heads of families and male communicants. The minister has a stipend of £95. The church is an ancient edifice, formerly a chapel-of-ease to Kincardine. There is also a Free church."
"ROW, a hamlet in the parish of Kilmadock, county Perth, Scotland, 1½ mile S.E. of Donne. There was formerly a chapel-of-ease."
"TEITH, (or Bridge-of-teith), a village in the parish of Kilmadock, county Perth, Scotland, 4 miles from Doune, and 25 S.W. of Perth. It is situated on the river Teith."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]