KILSPINDIE, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILSPINDIE, a parish in the Gowrie district of the county Perth, Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Perth. It is situated in the Carse of Gowrie, near the Dundee and Perth line of railway. It includes the villages of Kilspindie, Kait (post-office), and Pitrodie. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £225. The church, which is a plain modern structure, is situated in the village of Kilspindie. The parishes of Kilspindie and Kait were united early in the 17th century. The ruins of Kait church are still visible. It was here that the mother of Sir William Wallace found refuge, and whence Wallace went to attend school at Dundee. The glens and lower grounds are exceedingly productive, but the upper districts are heathy and barren."
"EVELICK, a quondam estate in the parish of Kilspindie, county Perth, Scotland. Evelick Hill, surmounted by an old stronghold, and the remains of Evelick Castle, the ancient seat of the Lindsays, are the most prominent objects."
"PITRODIE, a village in the parish of Kilspindie, county Perth, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Perth. It is situated near a glen where Wallace concealed himself."
"RAIT, a village in the parish of Kilspindie, county Perth, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Perth. It was formerly a separate parish. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the linen manufacture."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use