"KINCARDINE, a parish in the district of Monteith, county Perth, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Doune. It is situated between the rivers Forth and Teith, and contains the villages of Woodlane, Thornhill (post-office), Kirklane, and Norriestone, and the post-office station of Blair Drummond. The parish is in the presbytery of Dumblane and synod of Perth and Stirling. Its minister's stipend is £255. The church is a substantial building in the Gothic style of architecture. There is a chapel-of-ease and a Free church at Norriestone. There are several schools in the district. It has derived benefit from the recent opening of the Forth and Clyde line through Gargunnock. Its size is 5 miles by 3, comprising about 7,500 acres. The surface is carse and moss land, mostly reclaimed, interspersed with many thin beds of shell. Here are sandstone quarries. A number of Roman antiquities have been found near the line of the Roman road. In this parish are several tumuli, one called Wallace's Trench, measuring 63 yards in circumference. In 1831 a suspension bridge was erected connecting this place with Stirling. Blair Drummond is the seat of H. Drummond, Esq., M. P., who is chief heritor. This place gives the title of earl to the Duke of Montrose."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)