KINFAUNS, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"KINFAUNS, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is situated on the river Tay, which divides it from Rhynd and Perth. It is 3 miles E. of Perth, and is traversed by the road from that town to Dundee, and likewise by the Dundee and Perth railway, on which it has two stations-viz: Kinfauns and Glencarse, the latter situated within the parish. It is 5 miles, long, with an average breadth of 1½ mile. The Sidlaw hills occupy a large part of the district, and one of them, known as Kinnoul Hill, attains a height of 632 feet above sea-level. The parish was given to Sir T. Charteris, or Longueville, by Bruce, and subsequently came to the Carnegies and Blairs. It is in the presbytery of Perth, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £243, in the patronage of the crown. The church has been erected in portions at different periods. There is a Free church. The principal residences are, Glencarse House, Seggieden House, Glendoig House, and Kinfauns Castle, this last was built in 1822, from designs by Smirke, and is the property of Lord Gray; it contains the Charteris two-handed sword, 5 feet 9 inches long, and 2½ inches broad in the hilt. The Tay is here navigated by steam and sailing craft, which pass to and fro between Perth and Dundee."

"GLENCARSE, an estate, the seat of a post-office, and a station on the Dundee and Perth railway, in the parish of Kinfauns, county Perth, Scotland, 5 miles E. of Perth. The mansion is the residence of the Hunter family."

"INCHYRA, a village situated on the borders of the parishes of Kinfauns and St. Madoes, county Perth, Scotland, 8 miles from Perth. It is a small port on the river Tay, and has a good harbour, with a ferry to Fingask. Inchyra also gives name to a small district or detachment of the parish of Kinnoul. It extends about 1 mile in length and three-quarters of a mile in breadth."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 28 Nov 2010 - 14:40 by Mel Lockie]