KINLOCH AND LETHENDY, Perthshire
"KINLOCH AND LETHENDY, an united parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Dunkeld. It is bounded by Clunie, Caputh, and Blairgowrie, the latter being its post town. Its size is 9 miles by 1. Its surface is about half under tillage. The soil in many places is fertile. The parish is united to Lethendy in the presbytery of Dunkeld and synod of Perth. The minister's stipend is £210, in the patronage of crown. There is one parish church jointly for this place and Lethendy. There is a Free church at Lethendy. Glassclune castle stands at a short distance from the village. On a moor known as Haer (i.e. battle) Cairns, where Agricola and Galgacus fought, are many tumuli. The parish is intersected by the Lornty Bum and Airdle Water. It contains three lakes. Marlee, a mansion of the Farquharsons of Invercauld, is situated in this parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
"KINLOCH, parish contiguous to west side of Blairgowrie, Perthshire. It measures 9 miles in length and 21/2 in greatest breadth; and it is annexed to Lethendy, lying detached from it to the south. Real property in 1880-81, £4331. The surface for 21/4 miles is flat, and it thence, till within a mile of the Airdle rivulet, rises in regular gentle ascent. The chief residence is Marlee, and the chief antiquities are Glasclune Castle and Haercairns tumuli. The public school has about 47 scholars."
"LETHENDY, parish averagely 3 1/2 miles south-west of Blairgowrie, Perthshire. Its post town is Blairgowrie. Its length is 5 miles; its greatest breadth 1 1/2 mile; its area, together with that of Kinloch, to which it is united, 7060 acres. Real property of Lethendy alone in 1880-81, £2952. Pop. of Lethendy and Kinloch, 404. The west end of Lethendy, for about 1/2 mile, is a rapid ascent, and the rest is all a gentle descent. Lethendy Tower is a very old structure. The churches in the united parish are 1 Established, 1 Free, 1 United Presbyterian; and there are 2 public schools for respectively Lethendy and Kinloch."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.
Inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire, John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, [Published Edinburgh, 1975 (Scottish Genealogy Society).
The interment registers for both should be available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie (though for Kinloch only the 20th century extension seems to be present). Please consult the cemeteries page.
Census records are available for the years 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 & 1891. The Kinloch parish number is 376 and microfilms are available at New Register House, Edinburgh, the A. K. Bell Library, Perth, Tay Valley FHS and the LDS Family History Centre, Dundee and may also be ordered through LDS centres worldwide.
The Lethendy parish number is 372. Please consult the county page for general information.
Earlier census returns were made by the Duke of Atholl for those areas covered by his estates which were quite extensive in this parish. These are held by the archivist at Blair Castle.
Births, Deaths and Marriages prior to 1855 are available in The Old Parish Records (OPR). The Kinloch parish number is 376 and microfilms are available at New Register House, Edinburgh, the A. K. Bell Library, Perth, Tay Valley FHS and the LDS Family History Centre, Dundee and may also be ordered through LDS centres worldwide.
The records available are:
B. blank July 1710 - Feb 1713, and Aug. 1715 - June 1718. Irregular entries dated 1731 - 51 after Record for Sept. 1733. Mothers' names ommitted 1713 - 15, and 1729 - 36, exc. Jan. _ Sept. 1734. M. blank (exc. three entries under 1713) March 1710 - Oct. 1721. Only one entry Aug. 1731 - June 1733, and none April 1741 - Aug. 1742. Blank (exc. one entry) July 1743 - June 1751, and only four entries Dec 1805 - Feb. 1811. D. (Mortcloth Dues) Only four entries before March 1725, four entries Dec. 1739 - March 1755, three entries Sept. 1765 - Jan. 1775, and only three entries (1815 - 18) Feb. 1804 - June 1820. Record terminates in 1841.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
Film Ref. No. 372/1 Lethendy B 1698-1819 M 1698-1819 D 1754-1820 372/2 Kinloch B 1698-1819 M 1693-1819 D 1707-1820 372/3 Lethendy B 1819-54 M 1810-54 D 1825-51 Kinloch B 1819-54 M 1818-54 D 1820-41
Records of birth, death & marriage, from the commencement of statutory registration in 1855, are held at New Register House, Edinburgh, under whose jurisdiction these records fall. However microfilms covering 1855-75, 1881 & 1891 are also available at the LDS Family History Centre, Dundee and can also be ordered through LDS centres worldwide.
- The transcription of the section for Kinloch and Lethendy from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.