"KINNAIRD, hamlet and parish in east of Perthshire. The hamlet lies 2¾ miles north-west of Inchture, and has a modern church, and a public school with about 85 scholars. The parish contains also four other hamlets, and its post town is Inchture.; and it gives the peerage title of baron to the family of Kinnaird, whose seat - Rossie Priory - is in Inchture parish. Its length is nearly 3 miles; its breadth about 2 miles; its area 3498 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £3424. Pop. 260. The smaller part of the land is in the Carse of Gowrie, the larger part in Carse Braes. Kinnaird Castle is a stately structure of 12th century, belonged for a time to the Crown, belongs now to Sir Patrick M. Thriepland, Bart., and was externally renovated from a ruined state in 1855."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.