KINNAIRD, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"KINNAIRD, a parish in the district of Gowrie, in county Perth, Scotland. It is bounded by the parishes of Inchture (its post town), Collace, Errol, Abernyte, and Kilspindie, and contains the villages of Pitmiddie, Flawcraig, Nethermains, and Craigdallie. Its size is 3 miles by 2. It is fertile, but chiefly in pasture. The parish is in the presbytery of Dundee, and synod of Angus. The minister's stipend is £220, in the patronage of the crown. The church is a modern and commodious structure. Here is Kinnaird Castle, said to be 700 years old. It was inhabited for a short period in 1617 by James VI., and now belongs to the Fingask family, by whom it was repaired about ten years ago. Weaving and agriculture are the chief employments of the inhabitants."

"CRAIGDALLIE, a village in the parish of Kinnaird, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Perth."

"FLAWERAIG, a village in the parish of Kinnaird, county Perth, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of the town of Perth."

"NETHERMAINS, a village in the parish of Kinnaird, county Perth, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Perth."

"PITMIDDIE, a village in the parish of Kinnaird, county Perth, Scotland, 8 miles N.E. of Perth. It is situated in the Carse of Gowrie."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 28 Nov 2010 - 14:40 by Mel Lockie]