"KINNAIRD, hamlet and parish in east of Perthshire. The hamlet lies 2 3/4 miles north-west of Inchture, and has a modern church, and a public school with about 85 scholars. The parish contains also four other hamlets, and its post town is Inchture.; and it gives the peerage title of baron to the family of Kinnaird, whose seat - Rossie Priory - is in Inchture parish. Its length is nearly 3 miles; its breadth about 2 miles; its area 3498 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £3424. Pop. 260. The smaller part of the land is in the Carse of Gowrie, the larger part in Carse Braes. Kinnaird Castle is a stately structure of 12th century, belonged for a time to the Crown, belongs now to Sir Patrick M. Thriepland, Bart., and was externally renovated from a ruined state in 1855."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 368. Please consult the county page for general information.
An index for 1851 is available from Tay Valley FHS.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 368/1 B 1639-1802 M 1636-1702 D 1635-62 368/2 B- M 1684-1774 D 1709-74 368/3 B- M 1774-1819 D 1774-1819 368/4 B 1820-54 M 1844-54 D 1835-53* 368/5 B- M 1820-34 D 1820-34
* Includes proclamation fees and records couple's names, 1834-44
- The transcription of the section for Kinnaird from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.