Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for KINNOUL, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

KINNOUL, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"KINNOUL, a parish in the county Perth, Scotland. It is situated opposite the city of Perth, on the bank of the river Tay. It is 4 miles long by 1 mile broad, and the entire parochial area amounts to 3,680 acres, of which 3,100 are under cultivation. It includes Murray's Hall, Inchyra, Balbeggie, and Balthayock. Bridgend is in that portion of the parish which is nearest the city of Perth, with which it is connected by a bridge over the Tay It consists of one street, containing several well-built houses. It is well paved and lighted with gas, and comes under the superintendence of the Perth police. There are breweries and two large nurseries, the one known as Dickson's having been established nearly 100 years. The roads from Dundee, Blair-Gowrie, and Cupar-Angus, converge at Bridgend, owing to its proximity to the bridge. The parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £270. The parish church, situated at Bridgend, is a modern and commodious structure. It was erected on the site of St. Constantine, which Sir Robert Erskine gave to the monks of Cambuskenneth. The United Presbyterians have a place of worship at Balbeggie. There are several schools. The Perth Lunatic Asylum is situated in this parish. Inchyra and Murray's Hall are the chief mansions. The ruins of Kinnoul Castle, which formerly stood near the parish church, have entirely disappeared. Balsayock Castle, of which there are still some ruins, was the ancient seat of the Blairs. In this parish is Kinnoul Hill, from the top of which is a view over nine or ten counties, with Kilfauns Castle lying below. The hill is 632 feet high, and has a hollow called the Windy Gowle, with a remarkable echo, and a cave known as the Dragon-hole, said to have been a hiding-place of Sir William Wallace. On its slopes agates and some rare plants are found. Kinnoul gives the title of earl to the Hay family. The fairs have been discontinued."

"BALBEGGIE, a village in the parish of Kinnoul, in the county of Perth, Scotland, net far from Perth."

"BRIDGEND, a village in the parish of Kinnoul, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is on the north bank of the Tay, and is a suburb of the city of Perth."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]