"KIRKMICHAEL, village and parish in north-eastern extremity of Perthshire. The village stands in Strathardle, 13 3/4 miles north-by-west of Blairgowrie, and has a post office under Blairgowrie, Established and Free churches, and 2 public schools with about 136 scholars. The parish is divided quoad sacra into Kirkmichael-proper, Glenshee, and a small part of Persie. Its length is 17 miles; its greatest breadth 7 miles; its area 57,283 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £16,556. Pop. quoad civilia, 849. The surface is mountainous, and consists chiefly of Strathardle and Glenshee, with their broad alpine screens and their small lateral glens. The chief seats are Ashintully and Woodhill; chief antiquities are a large cairn, a multitude of smaller cairns, and four concentric Caledonian stone circles; and an interesting object is a great rocking-stone. The churches are 2 Established and 1 Free; and there are 3 schools with capacity for 231 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Blairgowrie. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre 1855 inscriptions for all available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 370 up to and including 1851 and thereafter 370/1. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 370/1 B 1650-1767 M 1650-1767 D- 370/2 B 1767-1819 M 1767-1819 D 1784-1789 370/3 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
- The transcription of the section for Kirkmichael from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.