LECROFT, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"LECROFT, a parish, partly in the county of Perth, and partly in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles S.E. of Donne. It is situated on the river Forth, where the river Teith Joins. It contains part of the parish of the Bridge of Allan. The parish is celebrated for the beauty of its scenery, and measures about 3 miles by 2. The surface, for the most part, consists of good carse land, and is well cultivated. The parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £148. The church is a Gothic structure. In the vicinity of the mansion of heir are a chain of forts or caers. The parish enjoys ready access to the Scottish Central railway through the Bridge of Allan station. Stirling of Keir is the chief heritor."

"BRIDGE OF ALLAN, a village in the parishes of Logie and Lecroft, in Perthshire, Scotland, 3 miles to the N.W. of Stirling, and 2 miles S. of Dunblane, having a station on the Scottish Central railway. It is situated in a picturesque spot, at the junction of the river Allan with the Forth, and possesses, in a high degree, all the characteristics of a village as poets love to imagine it: thatched cottages irregularly set among fine trees, a river, bridge, and mill, old inns, old women knitting out of doors, and young ones carrying milk pails. There are also some neat modern houses occupied in the summer by persons who visit the mineral wells of Airthrie. There is a Free church and a United Presbyterian church, and in the vicinity area paper manufactory and a spinning mill."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 28 Nov 2010 - 14:40 by Mel Lockie]