[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LIFF, (with Benvie and Invergowrie) a united parish, partly in the county of Perth, and partly in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles W.N.W. of Dundee. It contains the villages of Liff, Dargie, Benvie, Muirhead, Invergowrie, and Blackmuir, with part of the burgh of Dundee and the town of Lochee. It is about 6 miles in length by 4 in breadth. About 6,700 imperial acres are in wood, 4,400 under tillage, and 80 in pasture. The streams are the Dighty Water and Invergowrie burn. Freestone is abundant, and there are several quarries of grey slate. The parish is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £298. The parish church is a modern and commodious structure in the Gothic style of architecture. There is a large chapel-of-ease at Lochee (in the presentation of the male communicants), as well as a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. There is also a Free church at Liff. There are several schools. The present parish contains the ancient parishes of Liff, Benvie, Invergowrie, and Logie. The inhabitants for the most part are employed in the weaving of linen fabrics for the Dundee manufactures, and there are both spinning and paper mills. Near the church, on the estate of Lord Gray, are the remains of a palace built by Alexander I. Camperdown House (named from Lord Duncan's victory), the seat of the Earl of Camperdown; Gray House, the mansion of Lord Gray; and Balruddery House, are the chief seats in the parish. The parish has three stations on the Dundee, Newtyle, and Forfar line, viz: Liff, Camperdown, and Lochee, and one station (Invergowrie) on the Dundee and Perth railway."
"DARGIE, a village in the Invergowrie district of the parish of Liff and Benvie, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is situated about 3 miles W. of Dundee, and although surrounded by the county of Forfar, belongs to that of Perth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]