Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for LITTLE DUNKELD, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LITTLE DUNKELD, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"LITTLE DUNKELD, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, containing upwards of twenty hamlets or villages The Tay runs along its margin over a distance of 13 miles, and is met here by the Bran. It is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, and synod of Perth and Stirling. There are two churches, and two parochial, and five other schools. The arable and peopled districts are divided into three tracts, namely, Murthly, Bishopric, and Strathbran. Near here is the hill of Birnam. The chief wealth of the parish consists in its oak woods. At the base of Birnam are traces of a rude fortification, and a number of small cairns are in the neighbourhood. The chief landowners are the Duke of Athol, Sir W. Drummond Stewart. Stewart of Dalguise, and Campbell of Kinloch. The principal mansions in the parish are Murthly Castle, Dalguise House, Kinnaird House, Torwood House, and Birnam Lodge."

"BALLALACHAN, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 15 miles to the N. of Perth."

"BALMACNEIL, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland, not far from Dunkeld. It is seated at the junction of the Tay and the Tummell."

"DALGUISE, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It stands on the right bank of the Tay, 5 miles N.W. of Dunkeld. The mansion of Dalguiso is situated near the road from Perth to Taymouth. There is a Free church in the village."

"DALMARNOCK, a hamlet in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Inver."

"INVER, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, county Perth, Scotland. It is seated on the Bran near its junction with the Tay, and formerly had a ferry to Dunkeld."

"MURTHLY, a hamlet in the parish of Little Dunkeld, county Perth, Scotland, 2 miles S.E. of Dunkeld, and 12 N. of Perth. It is a station on the Inverness and Perth railway. It is situated between the rivers Tay and Bran, and contains the seat of Sir W. D. Stewart, Bart., adjoining the ruins of the Old Fort, and near Birnam Wood, celebrated by Shakspeare."

"OSSIAN'S HALL, a spot in the parish of Little Dunkeld, county Perth, Scotland. It is situated at a fall of the river Braan, near the Rumbling Bridge."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]