LITTLE DUNKELD, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"LITTLE DUNKELD, a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland, containing upwards of twenty hamlets or villages The Tay runs along its margin over a distance of 13 miles, and is met here by the Bran. It is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, and synod of Perth and Stirling. There are two churches, and two parochial, and five other schools. The arable and peopled districts are divided into three tracts, namely, Murthly, Bishopric, and Strathbran. Near here is the hill of Birnam. The chief wealth of the parish consists in its oak woods. At the base of Birnam are traces of a rude fortification, and a number of small cairns are in the neighbourhood. The chief landowners are the Duke of Athol, Sir W. Drummond Stewart. Stewart of Dalguise, and Campbell of Kinloch. The principal mansions in the parish are Murthly Castle, Dalguise House, Kinnaird House, Torwood House, and Birnam Lodge."

"BALLALACHAN, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 15 miles to the N. of Perth."

"BALMACNEIL, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland, not far from Dunkeld. It is seated at the junction of the Tay and the Tummell."

"DALGUISE, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It stands on the right bank of the Tay, 5 miles N.W. of Dunkeld. The mansion of Dalguiso is situated near the road from Perth to Taymouth. There is a Free church in the village."

"DALMARNOCK, a hamlet in the parish of Little Dunkeld, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Inver."

"INVER, a village in the parish of Little Dunkeld, county Perth, Scotland. It is seated on the Bran near its junction with the Tay, and formerly had a ferry to Dunkeld."

"MURTHLY, a hamlet in the parish of Little Dunkeld, county Perth, Scotland, 2 miles S.E. of Dunkeld, and 12 N. of Perth. It is a station on the Inverness and Perth railway. It is situated between the rivers Tay and Bran, and contains the seat of Sir W. D. Stewart, Bart., adjoining the ruins of the Old Fort, and near Birnam Wood, celebrated by Shakspeare."

"OSSIAN'S HALL, a spot in the parish of Little Dunkeld, county Perth, Scotland. It is situated at a fall of the river Braan, near the Rumbling Bridge."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 28 Nov 2010 - 14:40 by Mel Lockie]