LITTLE DUNKELD, Perthshire
"DUNKELD (LITTLE), parish in Strathtay, Perthshire. It took its name from a village which stood on the right bank of theTay, opposite Dunkeld, but is now extinct; it contains the railway station of Dunkeld, the villages of Birnam, Inver, and Dalguise, and about 20 smaller villages or hamlets; and it measures 16 miles in length, about 9 miles in breadth, and 41,268 acres in area. Real property in 1880-81, £20,012. Pop. 2175. The Tay flows windingly and beautifully on the northern and eastern boundary for about 14 miles; and the Bran runs partly on the southern boundary, but chiefly through the interior, and has there the notable Rumbling Bridge and Ossian's Hall. Birnam Hill is on the southern boundary; hills or mountains occupy a large portion of the other borders; hills or mountains also occupy much of the interior; and so many as about 20,378 acres are uncultivated. The sections nearest the Tay and along the Bran include large tracts of good arable land, either flat, sloping, or undulating, and contain nearly all the population. A remarkable fine clay is found in Strathbran; and a very fine hard sandstone ocurs in the south-east. The chief seats are Murthly Castle, Kinnaird House, Birnam Lodge, Torwood, and Dundonnochie; and the chief antiquities are Caledonian stone circles, Caledonian forts, huge cairns, Trochrie Castle, and objects on Birnam Hill. The churches are 2 Established, 2 Free, and an Episcopalian. There are 5 schools for 435 scholars, and one of them for 200 is new."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland by Rev. John Wilson, 1882
Little Dunkeld churchyard
Little Dunkeld cemetery
St. Mary's Episcopal, Birnam
The interment registers for 1 & 2 are both available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page. Monumental Inscriptions for 3 have been published by Dunkeld & Birnam Historical Society, available from Tay Valley FHS and others.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The parish number is 373. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
Film Ref. No. 373/1 B 1732-1819 M 1806-19 D- 373/2 B- M 1759-1806 D- 373/3 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
St Mary Episcopal Church
1824-1984 : registers incl baptisms, marriages and burials, minutes, accounts, plans, drawings and photos, misc letters, communicants roll book and inventory.
Private records, Ref. NRA(S) 2706 - enquiries to:
National Register of Archives (Scotland)
HM General Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YY
- The transcription of the section for Little Dunkeld from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.