[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LOGIE, a parish in the counties of Clackmannan, Perth, and Stirling, Scotland, 6 miles N.W. of the town of Clackmannan. It contains the villages of Blairlogi, Bridge of Allen, Craigmill, Menstry, Causeyhead watering-place, or Airthray Wells, and the remains of Cambuskenneth Abbey. This last was founded in 1147 by David I. of Scotland, and was one of the richest monastic establishments in Scotland. Several parliaments were anciently held here. The extent of the parish is about 4 miles in length, and the same in breadth. It consists of fertile carne land. Silver and copper ores occur among the Ochils, and a copper mine was formerly worked. The boundaries of the parish are traced by the rivers Allan, Devon, and Forth. The parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £263. The parish church was erected in 1805. There are also in the parish two United Presbyterian and one Free church; also three non-parochial schools. Dunmyatt, one of fibs Ochil hills situated in this parish, rises to the height of 1,345 feet above sea-level. Its form is a cone, and its summit commands views over twelve counties. Under it there is a holy well. Here was interred James HI. and his queen, the former of whom was killed at Stirling in 1487. The parish enjoys ready communication by means of the Stirling and Dunfermline railway, the Scottish Central railway, and the Stirling and Granton steamers."
"BRIDGE OF ALLAN, a village in the parishes of Logie and Lecroft, in Perthshire, Scotland, 3 miles to the N.W. of Stirling, and 2 miles S. of Dunblane, having a station on the Scottish Central railway. It is situated in a picturesque spot, at the junction of the river Allan with the Forth, and possesses, in a high degree, all the characteristics of a village as poets love to imagine it: thatched cottages irregularly set among fine trees, a river, bridge, and mill, old inns, old women knitting out of doors, and young ones carrying milk pails. There are also some neat modern houses occupied in the summer by persons who visit the mineral wells of Airthrie. There is a Free church and a United Presbyterian church, and in the vicinity area paper manufactory and a spinning mill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]