LOGIERAIT, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LOGIERAIT, a parish in the county Perth, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Dunkeld. It includes the village of Ballenling, and a portion of the post town of Aberfeldy. The size of the parish is 5 miles by 4, the principal part of which lies on the point of land formed by the function of the rivers Tay and Tummel, extending along the banks of each 7 miles. The parish is in the presbytery of Weem and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £251. The parish church, built in 1806, is a commodious structure. Within the parish there are a Free church, an Episcopalian, and a Baptist chapel; and at Aberfeldy there is a Free church, and also an Independent chapel. There are several schools throughout the district. In this parish are the "Braes of Tullimet," celebrated in Scottish song. Not far from the church is an eminence, which commands a prospect of the greater part of the parish. In the neighbourhood there are six distilleries, two flax mills, eight meal and other mills. Near the Tummel ferry are the ruins of a castle, said to have been the residence of Robert IIL; and there are the remains of a beacon-house in the parish. It was at the village of Logierait that Rob Roy made his escape after his capture by the Duke of Athole in 1717; and here also Prince Charles kept his prisoners after the battle of Preston Pans. Roman antiquities have been discovered here; and there are ruins of Romish chapels, and Druidical remains. In 1760 an earthquake was felt here, and in 1778 the place was visited by a waterspout. In this parish there are chains of ferry-boats both across the rivers Tay and Tummel A fair is held on the 22nd August, and the "Beltan" is kept up 1st May (old style). Dr. Adam Fergusson and Dr. Robert Bisset (biographer of Burke) may be mentioned among the parish's distinguished natives."
"ABERFELDIE, a village in the parishes of Dull and Logierait, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 6 miles from Kenmore. It stands in the mist of the finest scenery on the river Tay, at the foot of the Grampians, near the falls of Moness. The "birks of Aberfeldy" are the theme of one of the most graceful songs of Burns. A bridge, built by General Wade, crosses the river here. The Marquis of Breadalbane has his seat here, and there are a few Druidical remains."
"BALLENLUIG, a village in the parish of Logierait, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 8 miles from Dunkeld."
"RANNOCK, (or Rannoch), a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Fortingall and Logierait, county Perth, Scotland. It includes part of Rannock Moor, and extends 28 miles in length, with an extreme breadth of 16. The inhabited part is only 16 miles by 2. It is bounded by the parishes of Lochabar on the N.W., Badenoch on the N., Blair-Athole on the E., the Glenlyon and Fortingal sections of Breadalbane on the S., and Glenorchy and Appin on the W. The surface is of a hilly nature, including Rannock Moor, which lies at an elevation of 1,000 feet above sea-level, and is one of the most dismal and barren tracts in Scotland. It is watered by Loch Lydoch, near the centre of the parish, from which the Gauer water runs down to Rannock Loch, and thence, by a rapid course under Schiallion, to Loch Tummel. On the bank of the stream is Mount Alexander, the ancient seat of the Donachies or Robertsons. The village of Rannock is about 10 miles N.W. of Taymouth. It is situated under the Grampians, but is void of the scenery common to the similar Highland glens. This parish is in the presbytery of Weem, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £120. The parish church, situated at the E. end of Loch Rannock, was erected in 1829. At the W. end of the Loch is a chapel-of-ease."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use