"LOGIERAIT, village and parish in north of Perthshire. The village stands on peninsula between the Tay and the Tummel, nearly in line with railway viaducts across these rivers, 8 1/2 miles north-north-west of Dunkeld; maintains carriage ferries on the two rivers; was long the seat of the Athole family's regality courts; had then a grand court-hall and a prison, the place of Rob Roy's incarceration under sentence of the court; and has now a post office designated of Perthshire, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 166 scholars. The parish contains also Ballinluig village and part of Aberfeldy town; consists of a number of detached sections, one of them 19 miles west of the village; measures, apart from intersections, about 12 miles in length, and 4.5 in mean breadth; and comprises 37,759 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £18,288. Pop., quoad civilia, 2323. The main body around the village is remarkably beautiful, but much of the detached districts is wild upland. A number of fine mansions are in the main body; and ruins of a castle, said to have been a residence or hunting-seat of King Robert III., are near the village. Established, Free, Congregational, Baptist, and Episcopalian churches, and a large public school, are in Aberfeldy."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
Logierait was the birthplace of a number of famous people
Adam Ferguson (1723-1816): son of the parish minister he became Professor of Natural Philosophy at Edinburgh University in 1759.
Alexander Mackenzie (1822-1892): local stonemason who went on to become Prime Minister of Canada in 1873.
St. Marys, Grandtully
St. Andrews Episcopal, Strathtay. See Church Records
Tullymet (Dick family burial ground).
Cemeteries 1, 3 & 4 have pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire. Information on 6 & 7 to follow.
Interment registers for 1 & 2 are available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 376. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 376/1 B.1650-1754 M 1650-1754 D - 376/2 B 1754-1819 M - D - 376/3 B - M 1760-1819 D 1764-1815 376/4 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D -
Cameron, Samuel (1813-1872) Minister of Logierait,
journal, notes and parochial roll (1837-61), National Library of Scotland, Manuscripts Division, Reference: Acc 3353-54
St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Strathtay
1855-1984: registers incl baptisms, marriages and burials, minutes, accounts and misc papers incl St David's Weem, for other records see Holy Trinity Pitlochry.
Private records, Ref. NRA(S) 2706 - enquiries to:
National Register of Archives (Scotland)
HM General Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YY
- The transcription of the section for Logierait from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Logierait Pictish Cross-Slab in Logierait Churchyard