"LONGFORGAN, village and parish on east border of Perthshire. The village stands on rising-ground with splendid view, 6 miles west of Dundee, and has a post office under Dundee, a railway station, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 165 scholars. Pop. 366. The parish contains also Kingoodie and Balbunno villages, and part of Mylnefield-Feus. Its length is 7 miles; its greatest breadth 3 miles; its area 8528acres. Real property in 1880-81, £16,105. Pop. 1854. The surface includes part of Carse of Gowrie, rises thence in irregular slope and low ridge, and ascends to two summits of the Sidlaws. The seats are Mylnefield and Lochton; and the chief antiquities are Castle-Huntly and remains of an ancient chapel. There are 2 schools with capacity for 330 scholars, and 1 of them and an enlargement for 240 are new."
Wilson, Rev. John The Gazetteer of Scotland by Rev. John Wilson, 1882