"LONGFORGAN, village and parish on east border of Perthshire. The village stands on rising-ground with splendid view, 6 miles west of Dundee, and has a post office under Dundee, a railway station, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 165 scholars. Pop. 366. The parish contains also Kingoodie and Balbunno villages, and part of Mylnefield-Feus. Its length is 7 miles; its greatest breadth 3 miles; its area 8528acres. Real property in 1880-81, £16,105. Pop. 1854. The surface includes part of Carse of Gowrie, rises thence in irregular slope and low ridge, and ascends to two summits of the Sidlaws. The seats are Mylnefield and Lochton; and the chief antiquities are Castle-Huntly and remains of an ancient chapel. There are 2 schools with capacity for 330 scholars, and 1 of them and an enlargement for 240 are new."
Wilson, Rev. John The Gazetteer of Scotland by Rev. John Wilson, 1882
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Perth. Please consult the cemeteries page. Monumental Inscriptions have been published and are available from Tay Valley FHS.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 377. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 377/1 B 1634-78 M 1633-75 D- 377/2 B 1678-1776 M 1616-51 D- 377/3 B 1776-1819 M 1776-1819 D- 377/4 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D 1820-54
- The transcription of the section for Longforgan from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.