MADDERTY, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MADDERTY, a parish in the Strathearn district of county Perth, Scotland, 9 miles W.S.W. of Perth. It contains the barony burgh of Craig, and the villages of St. David and Bellyclone. The size of the parish is 6½ miles by 5. The surface is level, and the soil, which is chiefly arable, is very fertile-there are about 450 acres under plantation. The average rent of arable land is about £1 12s. per acre. The river Pow, or Powaffray, runs along the northern border of the parish. It is in the presbytery of Auchterarder and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £234. Here also is a Free church. On the banks of the Pow, in this parish, stand the ruins of Inchaffray Abbey, founded in 1200 by Gilbert Earl of Strathearn and his Countess Matilda. Maderty was given in 1607 by James I. to the Drummonds, together with the title of Baron Maderty. Remains of a Roman way to Ardoch are traceable."
"BELLYCLONE, a village in the parish of Madderty, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 4 miles from Cried', It is situated near the river Earn."
"CRAIG-OF-MADERTY, a demesne in the parish of Madderty, in the district and county of Perth, Scotland. It contains the village of St. David's, and was erected into a burgh of barony in 1626. It formerly contained a village called Craig."
"INCH-AFFRAY ABBEY, in the parish of Madderty, county Perth, Scotland, 8 miles W. of Perth. It was founded in 1200 by Gilbert Earl of Strathearn, and was given at the Dissolution to the Drummonds. The site now belongs to the Earl of Kinnoul."
"ST. DAVID'S, a village in the parish of Madderty, in the county of Perth, Scotland. It is quite of recent date, and stands on the estate of Craig of Madderty, having superseded the ancient village of that name."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use