"MONZIE, (or Mongee), a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland. It includes a village of the same name. It extends in length about 9 miles from E. to W., with an extreme breadth of 8 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Kenmore, Weem, Dull, Fowlis-Wester, Crieff, Monivaird, and Camrie. It lies on the S. side of the Grampians. The surface abounds in lofty hills. Not above one-third part of the land is arable, and the remainder in heath, moss, and sheepwalks, devoted to the pasturing of Highland or black-faced sheep. The arable part is in an excellent state of cultivation, and is diversified with thriving plantations. The parish is watered by the rivers Almond, Barvie, Shaggie, and Keltie, which all abound in trout, salmon, &c. There are two falls on the Almond river, viz: the Keltie fall of 90 feet, and the Shaggie 55 feet, which may seen to advantage from McBean's or Buchanty Bridge, constructed in 1639 by the Tullibardines, near their old seat. There are excellent slate quarries in Glenalmond; and at Culloquhey red sandstone is quarried. The parish is traversed by the Highland road from Crieff to Aberfeldy. The hilly district is occasionally visited by violent tempests and whirlwinds, which have in former times spread devastation in their course. The village of Monzie stands on the southern border near the conjunction of Monzie, Crieff, and Monivaird parishes, about 3 miles N. of Crieff, where is a station on the Scottish Central railway. It lies under a range of hills, 4 miles in breadth, which separates the two populated parts of the parish from each other. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and weaving. This parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder and synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £158. The parish church was erected in 1831. There is a Free church, also a parochial school. Culloquhey and Monzie are the only mansions; the latter has a picture gallery, armoury, some larches 80 to 90 feet in height, also a Chinese temple on a mount 70 feet high. There are remains of two forts at Cairn-Compal, called Dunmore and Leney, also a cave at Eagles' Rock, traces of a Druidical temple near Kirk-in-the-Wood, numerous memorials of Fingal, a Roman camp called in Gaelic Ranteach, or "Fingal's-house," near Findochs, at which place, "according to tradition," his house once stood, and about 2 miles E. is the place where Fingal's father was killed, and in the immediate vicinity is Ossian's tomb, or kistvaen, besides numerous tumuli and cairns, one 50 feet in diameter, where stone coffins and other relics of antiquity have been discovered."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Monzie from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.