"MOULIN, village and parish in north-east of Perthshire. The village stands about a mile north-east of Pitlochrie, and has a post office under Pitlochrie, a curious ruined castle of 12th century, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 91 scholars. - The parish contains also Pitlochrie and Kinnaird villages, measures about 16 miles by 8½, and comprises 44,640 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,378. Pop., quoad civilia, 2066; quoad sacra, 1569. The south-western section rises from Killiecrankie Pass and Tummel river to summit of Benvrackie, consists mostly of hills and mountains with interesting vales or glens, and includes some level arable land in what is called the How. The north-eastern section is divided from the south-western by a hill from 3 to 4 miles wide, and consists chiefly of glens and verdant hill-screens of two head-streams of the river Ardle. Chief seats are Faskally, Urrard, and Dounavourd; and the chief antiquities are the ruined castle at Moulin village, Caledonian forts and standing stones, and vestiges or sites of mediæval chapels. A quoad sacra parochial church is at Tennandry. There are 3 schools for 497 scholars, and they include new classrooms for 150."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882