"MOULIN, village and parish in north-east of Perthshire. The village stands about a mile north-east of Pitlochrie, and has a post office under Pitlochrie, a curious ruined castle of 12th century, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 91 scholars. - The parish contains also Pitlochrie and Kinnaird villages, measures about 16 miles by 81/2, and comprises 44,640 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,378. Pop., quoad civilia, 2066; quoad sacra, 1569. The south-western section rises from Killiecrankie Pass and Tummel river to summit of Benvrackie, consists mostly of hills and mountains with interesting vales or glens, and includes some level arable land in what is called the How. The north-eastern section is divided from the south-western by a hill from 3 to 4 miles wide, and consists chiefly of glens and verdant hill-screens of two head-streams of the river Ardle. Chief seats are Faskally, Urrard, and Dounavourd; and the chief antiquities are the ruined castle at Moulin village, Caledonian forts and standing stones, and vestiges or sites of mediæval chapels. A quoad sacra parochial church is at Tennandry. There are 3 schools for 497 scholars, and they include new classrooms for 150."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882
Faskally (Robertson family burial ground)
Faskally (Butter family burial ground)
Cemeteries 1 & 4 have pre-1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
Interment registers for 1, 2 & 3 are available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page.
Records for 5 are unavailable at the present time.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 384. Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 384/1 B 1740-1819 M 1740-1819 D- 384/2 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D- 384/3 B 1707-131 M 1707-132 D- B 1723-381 M 1726-382 D-
1. Copies of National Archives of Scotland Ref. CH2/488/1
2. Copies of National Archives of Scotland Ref. CH2/488/17
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Pitlochry
1856-1984: registers, minutes, accounts, plans and photos and misc papers also of St Adamnans Kilmaveonaig, St Andrews Strathtay and parishes at Loch Rannoch and Tummel Bridge
Private records, Ref. NRA(S) 2706 - enquiries to:
National Register of Archives (Scotland)
HM General Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YY
- The transcription of the section for Moulin from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.