[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MUCKART, a parish in the Ochill district of county Perth, Scotland, 8 miles W. of Kinross. It lies on the border of the county, adjoining the shires of Clackmannan and Kinross, and is bounded by the parishes of Dollar, Fossaway, and Glendevon. It has an extreme length from S.W. to N.E. of 5 miles, and its greatest breadth is near 3 miles. It comprises the post-office village of its own name, and the hamlets of Pool and Yetts of Muckart. The surface rises gradually from the W., where it is only 60 feet above the sea-level, towards the E. and N., taking in part of the spurs of the Ochill hills, the highest point of which, called Seamale, attains an elevation of 1,350 feet above sea-level. The soil is in general light and gravelly, alternating with clay, and in the lower grounds sandy but fertile. Oats are extensively cultivated, and the hill sides afford excellent pasture for sheep. The predominant rock in the highlands to the N. is trap, but the underlying rocks in the valley of the Devon are of the carboniferous formation, comprising mountain limestone, sandstone, ironstone, and coal, all of which are worked, the ironstone chiefly on the Fossaway side of the Devon, and coal on the Muckart side. The parish is watered by the river Devom, or Devon, and its tributaries, which in its course forms the scenes of the Rumbling Bridge and the Cauldron Linn. The village, which is ancient, suffered much damage in 1645 by the Marquis of Montrose, who, as the enemy and rival of the house of Argyle, carried fire and sword through this district. There are five principal landowners, besides three times that number of small proprietors. The climate is cold and rainy, but not unhealthy. The parish is intersected in an easterly direction by the road from Dollar to the Crook of Dovan, and in a northerly by a road from the Rumbling Bridge to Strathearn. The Tillicoultry branch of the Stirling and Dunfermline railway also passes in the vicinity. The parish is in the presbytery of Kinross and synnd synod of Fife, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £159, with glebe valued at £20. The church was built in 1838. There are also an United Presbyterian church, a public library, and schools."
"POOL, a village in the parish of Muckart, county Perth, Scotland, 2½ miles W. of Crook-of-Devon. It is situated on the road from Clackmannan to Perth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use