"PERTH, city and four parishes in Perthshire. The city stands on the Tay, 39 miles by road, but 45 by railway, north-north-west of Edinburgh; it is believed by some antiquaries to date from or before the Roman times, either on its present site or on one at influx of the Almond to the Tay ..... a railway station with convergent lines from all parts of the kingdom, , 8 banking offices, 8 principal hotels, many imposing public edifices, 7 Established churches, 5 Free churches, 4 United Presbyterian churches, Original Seccession, Congregational, Evangelical Union, Baptist, Methodist, and Unitarian churches, an Episcopalian cathedral, 2 other Episcopalian places of worship, 2 Roman Catholic churches, 19 schools with capacity for 4933 scholars, and a number of important institutions ..... The four parishes are East, Middle, St. Paul, and West; and a quoad sacra parish of St. Leonard's consists of parts of the East and the West. The whole aggregately measure 4 1/2 miles in length, 2 1/4 miles in extreme breadth, and 3658 acres in area. Real propety of the landward parts in 1880-81, £6207. The Middle and St. Paul lie wholy in the city. Pop. 4902 and 3009. The West also lies almost all in the city. Pop. quoad civilia, 6192; quoad sacra, 3983. The East includes part of the city, comprises nearly all the landward parts, and contains the villages of Dovecotland, Tulloch, Cragie, Cherrybank, Pitheavlis, Craigend, and Friarton. Pop. quoad civilia, 12,102; quoad sacra, 10,720. The surface, in a general view, lies westward from the Tay; consists largely of rich plain; includes in the south-east, a part of Moncrieff hill; and is diversified in the interior by numerous swelling ridges. Upwards of two-thirds are fertile arable land, and about 75 acres of the other third are under wood."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.
NB. Part of present day Perth lies within Kinnoull parish.
St. Ninian's Cathedral
The interment registers for 1, 4 and 5 are available at the local council offices in Perth. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions for all except 5 available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 387. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland
OPR: GRO(S) Ref. No. 387/1 to 387/49, covering the period 1560-1854.
1819-1933: general kirk sessions 1833-1918; registers of baptisms, all city churches c1819-54; registers, various churches 1853-1933.
National Archives of Scotland.
St Leonard's Church
1835-1857: sederunt book with minutes of subscribers general meetings and managers meetings
University of Dundee Archive, Records Management and Museum Services. Ref. MS8.
North Perth Antiburgher Congregation
National Archives of Scotland. Ref. GD1/1045.
Perth Glassite Church
University of Dundee Archive, Records Management and Museum Services.
St. Andrews Episcopal Mission Chapel
1868-1875 : register of baptisms, confirmations, marriages and burials, kept in St John the Baptist, Perth.
St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church
1802-1984: registers incl baptisms, burials and services, accounts, plans and photos, misc finance papers, corresp, minutes and records of St Andrew's chapel and school.
1834-1963: minute books, reports, legal papers etc.
St. Ninian's Episcopal Cathedral
1846-1984: registers incl, baptisms, marriages and burials, minutes, accounts, plans, drawings and photos, misc papers incl annual reports and diaries of Georege Farquhar.
19th cent-20th cent: deeds, minute books and misc. records.
Private records, enquiries to:
National Register of Archives (Scotland)
HM General Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YY
- The transcription of the section for Perth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
More detailed information about Perth city's parishes:
- East Church (part in Perth)
- Middle Church
- St. Paul's
- West Church
- Kinnoul (part in Perth)
- Scone (part in Perth)
- Tibbermore (part in Perth)