[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"PORT OF MONTEITH, a parish in the Monteith district of county Perth, Scotland. This parish, which was anciently called Port, is situated on the southern border of the county, being separated from Stirlingshire and Kippen by the river Forth, which traces its southern boundary; on the other sides it adjoins the parishes of Aberfoyle, Callander, Kilmadock, and Kincardine. It is nearly 9 miles in length from E. to W., with an extreme breadth of 6½ miles, comprising near its centre the loch of Monteith, and on its northern boundary the loch of Vennachar, with numerous small lakes, called Lochan-Ballach, Loch Drunkie, Loch of Letter, Loch of Roskie, and Dow-loch. The surface in the S. and W., near the banks of the Forth, is generally level and extremely fertile, but in the northern part of the parish it is diversified by rocky mountains covered with heath, and in places attaining an altitude of near 2,000 feet above the sea-level, forming the frontier of the Scottish Highlands. The S.E. corner is occupied by a part of Flanders Moss, much resembling in character the well-known moss of Kincardine, and bearing traces of a Roman road and fortress. The parish is traversed by the road between Doune and the head of Loch Katrine, and by two roads from Stirlingshire to Callander. It includes the post-office village of Gartmore, and the villages of Ruskie and Tomachar, with several seats, as Blairhoyle, Cardross House, Gartmore House, Inner Trossachs, and Rednock House. The parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £281. The parish church is situated on the N. bank of the loch of Monteith, but there is a chapel-of-ease in the village of Gartmore, as also a Free church and schools."
"GARTMORE, a post village and quoad sacra parish in the parish of Port-of-Monteith, county Perth, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Aberfoil. It is situated on a tongue of land lying between the rivers Ayendow and Kelty, whose united waters a little below assume the name of the Forth. Here are a Free church and chapel-of-ease. Gartmore is the principal residence. Fairs are held on the 8th January, 7th- July, 19th October, and on the first Tuesday in October."
"INCH-MACHOME, an island lying in Monteith Loch, in the parish of Port-of-Monteith, county Perth, Scotland. Its surface extends over an area of about 5 acres. Here stand interesting ruins of an extensive Augustinian priory, founded by Edgar, King of Scotland. In 1310 it was visited by Robert Bruce, and afterwards by James VI. In 1647 the infant Queen Mary was hidden away here to prevent her forcible marriage with Edward VI."
"REDNOCK, a village in the parish of Port-of-Monteith, county Perth, Scotland, 35 miles S.W. of Perth, on the river Forth, near the Stirlingshire border."
"RUSKIE, a village in the parish of Port-of-Monteith, county Perth, Scotland, 2 miles from Port-of-Monteith, and 15 N.W. of Stirling, near the Frith of Forth."
"TOMACHAR, a hamlet in the parish of Port_of_Monteith, county Perth, Scotland."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]