"RATTRAY, a parish in the district of Strathmore, county Perth, Scotland. It comprises a village of the same name. The parish extends in length about 5½ miles from S. to N., with a breadth of about 1¾ mile. It lies on the left bank of the river Ericht, and is bounded by Bendochy on the E., and by Blairgowrie on the opposite side of the river. The surface is moderately flat, and of a diversified character. The lands along the banks of the river are arable and fertile, but the higher grounds are only suitable for pasture and sheep-walks. The parish is traversed in an easterly direction by the road from Dunkeld to Kirriemuir, and is within easy access of the Scottish Midland railway. The village of Rattray is about 9 miles N.E. of Dunkeld, and 41, S.W. of Alyth. It is irregularly built on the declivity of a hill, near the river Ericht. The modern village, called New Rattray, is connected with Blairgowrie by a bridge of four arches across the Ericht, on the banks of which are flax-spinning mills. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in the mills, hence the rapid growth of this prosperous little village. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunkeld, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £157. The parish church was erected in 1821. There are a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. There is a chapel-of-ease at Bendochy, and a parochial school at Rattray. To the S.E. of the village are traces of the old castle of Rattray; and about 2 miles N. stands Craig Hall on a perpendicular rock, 100 feet in height. Fairs are held on the first Fridays in April and August for the sale of cattle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]