Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for REDGORTON, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

REDGORTON, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"REDGORTON, a parish in the district of Almond and Tay, county Perth, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Stanley, Redgorton, Pitcairn, Luncarty, Cromwell Park, and Bridgetown. It extends in length about 5 miles, with an extreme breadth of 2 miles; and is bounded on the N. by the parishes of Auchtorgaven and Kinclaven, on the E. by Scone, on the S. by Tibbermuir and Methven, and on the W. by Monedie. The surface is of a hilly nature. The land is chiefly in pasture and moorland, with a small proportion of arable. The soil is in general light, but fertile. The views from the rising grounds include the palace and park of Scone, with the stream of the Tay and the city of Perth in the distance. The parish is traversed by the road from Perth to Inverness, and by the Scottish and Midland, railway, which has stations at Luncarty, Dunkeld-road, and Stanley. The village of Redgorton is about 3 miles N.W. of Perth. It is situated on the river Tay, which is here joined by the Almond, Ordie, and Shochie waters, all abounding in salmon and trout. The inhabitants are principally employed in cotton mills and bleach-fields. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £189. The parish church was erected in 1756. At Stanley are a Free church and a chapel-of-ease. There are also a Free church and United Presbyterian church at Pitcairn. There is a parochial school."

"BRIDGETON, a village in the parish of Redgorton, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 3 miles from Perth."

"CROMWELL PARK, a village in the parish of Redgorton, in the county of Perth, Scotland, 2 miles from Perth. The inhabitants are employed in the cotton-mills."

"LUNCARTY, a village in the Strathmore district of the county of Perth, Scotland, 4½ miles N. of Perth. It is a station on the Scottish North-Eastern railway. This place, which was formerly a district parish, is situated on the river Tay, and has the largest bleach-fields in Great Britain, the grounds comprehending about 130 acres. It was here that Kenneth III., with the assistance of the Hays, routed the Danes in 972."

"PITCAIRN, (or Pitcairngreen), a village in the parish of Redgorton, county Perth, Scotland, 4½ miles N.W. of Perth. It is situated on the river Almond. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the bleaching-works of Pitcairnfield."

"STANLEY, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Auchtergaven and Redgorton, county Perth, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Perth, and 9 S. of Dunkeld. It is a junction station on the Highland and Scottish North-Eastern railways. It is situated near Linn-of-Campsey fall, on the right bank of the river Tay. This village, which is considerable, was founded in 1784, and was named in honour of the daughter of James Stanley, Earl of Derby, who married a brother of one of the dukes of Athol. It chiefly owes its prosperity to the cotton manufacture which was established here at the end of the last century. The living is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of the Stanley Company. The stipend of the minister is about £150. The church, which has a tower 85 feet in height, was erected in 1828, at an outlay of £4,000, defrayed by the Stanley Company. There is also a chapel belonging to the Free Church. The principal seat is Stanley House, formerly occupied by Lord Nairn. A short distance from this mansion are the ruins of Inchbervicarage"

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]