"REDGORTON, a parish in the district of Almond and Tay, county Perth, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Stanley, Redgorton, Pitcairn, Luncarty, Cromwell Park, and Bridgetown. It extends in length about 5 miles, with an extreme breadth of 2 miles; and is bounded on the N. by the parishes of Auchtorgaven and Kinclaven, on the E. by Scone, on the S. by Tibbermuir and Methven, and on the W. by Monedie. The surface is of a hilly nature. The land is chiefly in pasture and moorland, with a small proportion of arable. The soil is in general light, but fertile. The views from the rising grounds include the palace and park of Scone, with the stream of the Tay and the city of Perth in the distance. The parish is traversed by the road from Perth to Inverness, and by the Scottish and Midland, railway, which has stations at Luncarty, Dunkeld-road, and Stanley. The village of Redgorton is about 3 miles N.W. of Perth. It is situated on the river Tay, which is here joined by the Almond, Ordie, and Shochie waters, all abounding in salmon and trout. The inhabitants are principally employed in cotton mills and bleach-fields. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £189. The parish church was erected in 1756. At Stanley are a Free church and a chapel-of-ease. There are also a Free church and United Presbyterian church at Pitcairn. There is a parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Redgorton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.