"SCONE, palace, quondam abbey, extinct city, modern town and parish in Perthshire. The palace stands near left side of the Tay, 2 miles north of Perth, is the chief seat of the Earl of Mansfield, was erected in 1803-6, is a grand castellated edifice with frontage of 240 feet, and either covers or adjoins the site of an ancient royal palace, the occasional residence of many kings. The abbey stood adjacent to the royal palace, covered the site of a Culdee cell, was founded in 1114, contained the coronation stone previously in Dunstaffnage and now in Westminster Abbey, was long the coronation place of the Scottish kings, and, together with the royal palace, was destroyed at the Reformation. The extinct city adjoined the abbey, was long a place of great historical note, declined to the condition of a hamlet, and is now represented chiefly by a market cross within the Earl of Mansfield's pleasure-grounds. The modern town stands about a mile to the east, bears the name of New Scone, was mostly built since beginning of present century, presents a pleasant appearance, and has a post office with money order department under Perth, Established, Free, and United Presbyterian churches, and a large public school. Pop. 1483. The parish contains also Stormontfield village and a small part of Perth burgh. Its length is about 4 miles; its greatest breadth about 3 miles; its area 7815 acres. Real property in 1880-81 of landward part £14,059. Pop. of the whole 2347. The Tay traces all the western boundary. The land rises gently from the river towards the north-east and the east, has pleasant diversity of surface, and exhibits a richly cultured appearance. A recent mansion is Bonhard, and the antiquities include two Caledonian stone circles, the line of a Roman road, and vestiges of a large oblong camp. There are 2 public schools for 362 scholars, and one of them for 311 is new."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882.