[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SCONE, (or Scoon), a parish in the county of Perth, Scotland. It contains the new town of Scone and the villages of Old Scone and Stormontfield. It extends about 4 miles in length from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of about 3 miles. It is bounded by the parishes of St. Martin's, Kilspindie, Kinfauns, Kinnoul, Perth, and Redgorton. The surface is moderately even, and the land in an excellent state of cultivation. The prevailing rocks are of the Old Red sandstone formation, varied by trap dykes. Freestone for building is extensively quarried. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the large bleach-field at Stormontfield. The parish is traversed by the roads from Perth to Blairgowrie, Cupar Angus, and Newtyle, and is within easy access of the quays and railway depots of Perth. The town of New Scone is about 2 miles N. of Perth. It is situated on the road from Perth to Blairgowrie, and at a short distance from the river Tay. The houses are well built, and the streets have a clean appearance. The old village, which is now of small extent, grew out of an Austin abbey, founded here by Alexander L in 1114, on the site of an earlier Culdee house. In the church of this abbey was preserved the coronation stone brought by Kenneth II. from Dunstaffnage in 834, and on it all the Scottish kings were crowned till the year 1296, when Edward I. removed it to Westminster Abbey, and with it, according to ancient prophecy, the empire of Scotland. The ancient palace and abbey were plundered and burnt in 1559 by an infuriated mob during the Reformation. From the remaining traces of the abbey wall, it is estimated to have enclosed an area of 12 acres. Charles II. was crowned in this church before he set out on the expedition that terminated in the fatal battle of Worcester. On the site of the royal palace now stands Scone House, the seat of the Earl of Mansfield, measuring 210 feet by 105, including a timbered gallery 160 feet in length, in place of the old coronation hall. It contains many historical portraits, and some antique furniture, including the hangings of a bed, said to have been wrought by Mary Queen of Scots when a prisoner in Loch Leven Castle. In the grounds are the ancient market cross, standing 13 feet in height, also the Mote Hill, or Mons Placiti de Scona, omnis terra, where the ancient kings sat to determine the pleas between their barons. In the vicinity are two Druidical circles, consisting of 9 stones, and traces of several camps. This parish is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £275. The parish church was erected in 1804, but was enlarged in 1834. The interior contains effigies and monuments to the Murrays. There are a Free church and an United Presbyterian church, also a parochial and 3 other schools. Douglas, the botanist, was born in this parish in 1798, and died here in 1834."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]