ST. MADOES, Perthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ST. MADOES, a parish at the western end of the Carse of Gowrie, county Perth, Scotland. It is situated on the river Tay, 6 miles S.E. of Perth, its post town, and contains the hamlets of Cottown and Hawkestone. Its length from N. to S. is 1¾ mile, and it is 1½ at its greatest breadth. The surface is flat, and for the most part under tillage. The parish is in the presbytery of Perth, and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £219. The church was erected in 1798. The churchyard contains a Runic monument. There is a pier and shore-house, which were built in 1830. There is a sandstone quarry at Cotton. The parish is traversed by the Perth and Dundee line, Glencarse being the nearest railway station. Near the eastern boundary of the parish is a stone of some historical note called "the Hawk's stane." The original name of the parish is supposed to have been St. Madoch, or Madox, and is generally pronounced by the inhabitants Semmiedores. Sir John S. Richardson, Bart., is the sole heritor."
"HAWKSTONE, a village in the parish of St. Madoes, county Perth, Scotland, near the town of Perth."
"INCHYRA, a village situated on the borders of the parishes of Kinfauns and St. Madoes, county Perth, Scotland, 8 miles from Perth. It is a small port on the river Tay, and has a good harbour, with a ferry to Fingask. Inchyra also gives name to a small district or detachment of the parish of Kinnoul. It extends about 1 mile in length and three-quarters of a mile in breadth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use